Monday, February 13, 2012

Psychotic Managers

It's great to know what kind of lunatics they hire at our store. I legitimately have something to complain about this time, I fear. Most of my other complaints are just petty problems that aren't enough for me to actually long to hurt someone, but this has gone too far. I'll post the link here so everyone can see exactly what I'm talking about, and you can form your own opinions:

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150593125939885&id=838169884&notif_t=like

This link leads to a conversation that took place tonight on Facebook. At the risk of endangering my own job, I feel the need to post it here and take it to a higher level because...well, I'm in awe at the sheer audacity of it. This is a manager, mind you, that I have to see several times a week. A MANAGER, who is supposed to be an example to his underlings, who instead uses his position of authority to try and get in the girls who work at our store's pants and to bully everyone around him. Great choice, guys. Real winner, that one.

For a bit of background information on what caused this confrontation, I'd like to tell you a little story. It starts, in the short version, with me sleeping soundly in my bed with my wonderful girlfriend, after many attempts to fall asleep cut short by nightmares and just general wakefulness. It's 2 a.m., an hour when most people are doing exactly what I was doing: sleeping. My cell phone starts ringing, startling me back into the land of consciousness, which is the last place I want to be. I let it go to voicemail, because I'm half-asleep and pissed off now. Alex listens to my voicemail and informs me that the call at an ungodly hour came from Thomas, the store's night manager, asking me to pick up a shift on the night of the 14th, regardless of the fact that it's 2 a.m., I have to work at 8 a.m., I've been on mornings and afternoons this week, aaand it's my girlfriend's birthday on that day (which I specifically asked for off and was thus granted, because of this event).

Immature though it may have been, I made the status that sparked the conversation in the link, purely out of anger and outrage at things that had happened at work that day and the phone call earlier that morning. True to form, Thomas retaliated and the following argument commenced. Isn't it reassuring to know that this man is in charge of his fellow employees and trusted with the supervision/preparation of your food? I know I, for one, am thoroughly impressed by the depth and maturity of his character.

Let me now point out a few of the other deciding factors for why I'm convinced this man has serious mental issues. One, he claims to not only be a manager at our restaurant (which, undeniably, he is), but he's also a full-time college student (in an actual, physical school; not online), a teacher during the day, AND he's in the army. Is it just me, or does it seem a little impossible for someone do be doing that much all at once, every single day? The only thing I believe is that he's a manager. There's undeniable proof of that, and only that. He may, in fact, go to college occasionally (though I doubt it, because his spelling and grammar are awful and he frequently uses common words in the wrong context), but that's not my biggest issue here. As for him being a teacher---Doesn't that usually require you to have already graduated from college? Hmmm... My biggest issue, however, has to do with him being in the military. Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for our servicemen and women, but only if you've actually been in the military. I have reason to believe he's either blatantly lying or deluding himself into thinking he was actually in the army. My evidence stands thus:
1. He claims to have been stationed in Korea, during a time when there were no military actions taking place there. He further claims to have killed a civilian there for reasons he's not allowed to speak of, though he can't seem to recall the name of the city he was stationed. Don't you think you'd remember something like that? If you killed someone, for any reason, isn't it likely that you'd remember where it happened? I'm pretty sure I would, in any case.
2. He often complains about how much it's costing him to go to college, whereas if he were in the military, they would be paying for his education. (He is also known to claim that he's going to school for free because his mother is a teacher in Dearborn. Decide for yourself which version is accurate, because I can't even begin to tell you whether he even goes to school or not.)
3. He took three days or so off from work under the pretense (to us lowly underlings, anyway) that he had to go to some top-secret military function in Alabama. He complained loudly and frequently about having to take a bus there, so that was assumed to be his mode of transportation. Roughly seven hours after his noted departure time, he texted me saying he was there and all the stuff he was doing. Now, I'm no expert on mathematics, but since I took a bus to Mississippi and the trip was around sixteen hours, I'm sorry if I find it a little hard to believe that he made it to Alabama in just seven. Also, when Alex discussed the supposed trip to Alabama with a fellow coworker, said coworker (another manager) seemed surprised, as he'd been told by Thomas that he was flying to Florida to visit family. I rest my case on this point.

All in all, we've decided that Thomas may or may not suffer from severe delusions as well as the pathological need to lie about anything and everything. He probably lies about what he's eaten for lunch. We believe the military fantasy may have come from his obsession with Call of Duty, deluding him into thinking he's actually a soldier. As angry as he makes me and as much as I detest his very existence, I can't help but feel sorry for him. He's a sick, twisted shell of a man and he needs immediate mental help.

The madness must come to an end.

1 comment:

  1. And how he's stalking a co-worker, who is currently filing her SECOND complaint about it, since he's calling/texting her at all ours of the day and night, looked her address up on the computer at work and shows up randomly at her house completely uninvited, and has his little brother harass her daughter at school.

    ReplyDelete