It seems like all I've been doing lately is complaining.
What I have the most to complain about is my job. For lack of a better way to put it, I fucking hate it. As much as I adore some of the people we work with, my hatred of the rest of them far outweighs the pros of being there. Let's begin with the store manager, shall we? If we thought our previous store manager was bad, M. (as I'll refer to her for anonymity's sake) is beyond awful. M. has the tendency to not have any freaking idea what she's doing. When she first transferred to our store, she had to have some else take over schedule-making duties because she just couldn't seem to figure it out herself. She was scheduling people for 12-hour shifts with 4 hours between them and no days off, which is clearly not the way to do schedules, in case you were wondering. Now that she has once again taken "control" of scheduling, she's decided that her lowly underlings should work every shift we have (i.e. mornings, afternoons, nights) all in the same week, while she has the same set schedule every day. If you're unfamiliar with how this might affect someone, let me inform you: it sucks. You don't get any sleep at all, because all three shifts follow drastically different sleeping schedules. This causes you to become short-tempered and irritable, making your performance and people-skills suffer (which is definitely not a good thing in the fast-food industry). As if this weren't bad enough already, M. has now decided that she's had enough of people changing their availability because of her scheduling shenanigans, and has taken away our right to change our availability. Now you not only have to fill out the required forms (as was previously necessary), you also have to have a meeting with M. and our district manager before they'll even consider putting any changes into action. That alone would make me quit if I didn't need this pathetic job so goddamn badly right now. Pitiful and meager though our earnings are, they're managing to keep us (barely) afloat right now, which is all we need. Since ranting about what a fucking idiot M. is has caused me to spiral into a pit of rage, I'll leave off on the rest of what pisses me off about work for now, since the end of that particular rant leads me into another, slightly healthier, one:
With our forthcoming tax returns, Alex and I have been seriously discussing the topic of moving back to Mississippi. Due to our (mostly my, really) stupid naivety when we previously lived there, we thought that we were struggling. We were making very decent money (which I'm not sure I want to post the exactly amount of online, so we'll leave that for you to ponder). Alex was working what hours she could at GameStop (maneuvering around her babysitting schedule) and babysitting an ungodly amount. I was scheduled for 40 hours every week at my wonderful job at Days Inn, though more often than not I usually ended up coming in on one or both of my days off and staying at least half an hour late every night, because my replacement was usually late for one reason or another. As questionably as our hotel may have been run sometimes, it was still nowhere near as fantastically awful as McAnonymous. No one fucked with anyone's hours, people showed up for their shifts (and even when they didn't, they called off ahead of time and there was always someone else more than willing to pick up an extra shift and earn a little extra money), the manager didn't expect you to perform ridiculously demeaning tasks, and overtime was often necessary and welcome.
In short, we had no idea how damn good we had it.
Sooo...We've been thinking about picking up and moving once again. The thought of moving again so soon is less than appealing to us, since we've been moving every 5-6 months for the last year and a half, but with each passing day that we have to suffer through the horrible atrocity that is McAnonymous, our reservations are slowly fading. Mississippi, you look so good right now. Warm weather, little-to-no snow, carefree police, jobs that we love, people that aren't completely fucking retarded, cheaper cost of living, easier access to employment, less filth and disgusting pollution...What did we think was wrong with that state? Why did we move back to this hellhole of desperation and madness? What exactly does Michigan have going for it? Disease, homeless people on every corner, rampant drug addiction wherever you look, an economy that's in shambles, more unemployed people than employed ones, welfare cases like you wouldn't believe, crime and death everywhere... Nothing against her because she's one of the few managers I can stand and I love her to death, but even our restaurant has its share of criminals. A freaking MANAGER, for the gods' sakes, buying electronics with fake $50 bills and returning them for the cash @.@ It absolutely floors me.
Anyway, I think I've taken up enough electronic space for the day, so I'll end my pointless rambling here, after one little disclaimer:
I refer to the hellhole only as "McAnonymous," because THAT PLACE IS SO FUCKING AWFUL, AND THEY KNOW IT, THAT THEY MAKE YOU SIGN A SOCIAL MEDIA POLICY WHEN THEY HIRE YOU STATING THAT YOU WILL NOT ASSOCIATE YOURSELF WITH THEM IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM ON ANY SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES, INCLUDING BUT NOT EXCLUSIVE TO FACEBOOK, MYSPACE, TWITTER, ETC. Yes, they're that fucking terrible and they're well aware of it. Way to cover your asses, McAnonymous. Bravo.
It's true. It does suck. <3 I love you though. I love reading your rants.
ReplyDeleteThank you XD Even though all I'm doing is complaining endlessly...
Delete